There is an age old methodology for learning, increasing technical skill and finding creative inspiration that has proven by its use that it can effectively stand the test of time and consistently achieve great results. That methodology is studying the masters. In this article, we will look at how you can use the process of studying the masters as a way to find creative inspiration.
Masters studies have been informing and teaching artists not only for centuries, but for at least a millennium. If you were to sit down and write out an exhaustive list of all of your favourite artists from any time period, you can be certain that at some point in their lives, they have studied a master and learned something from that study that has informed their own work.
A great tool that you can use to aid you in your master studying journey is Pinterest, you can even using Pinterest to create a board for old master study inspiration. I recently wrote an article explaining how to create inspiration boards and how to use Pinterest to find creative inspiration.
Back to the subject of studying the masters, this method of learning and finding inspiration truly is one of the most accessible, rewarding and enlightening processes you could possibly undertake.
Some of the points covered throughout this article will be:
- The definition of studying the masters
- The history of old master art studies
- The master study community
- Tools and equipment necessary
- How to choose an old master to study
- Where to find the works of masters for studying
- 8 Steps to study the art of an old master artist
- How studying the masters can inform your personal artwork
- Where to find more creative inspiration